Thursday 19 August 2010

Pond Life Part 6 - Egg laying

Last year, back in September, I shared images from the pond showing Southern Hawkers egg laying.

So it was with some surprise that I watched another one back in July this year doing the same.


Here she is, on the same log as the one used  last year in the middle of the pond. I watched from quite a distance to begin with, but she was clearly occupied and very comfortable with my presence around her.

I got quite a few shots on various poses.  This one with the 7D and Canon 180 macro, at ISO1600 with f9 and 1/320 sec shutter speed, taken hand held laying on the ground.  Image is full frame.


This time from above to show the wing spread. Back down to ISO400, full frame




Finally right in close.  Now I normally really don't like these type of tight crops, with limited depth of field, but I am pretty happy with this as a study of the fascinating compound eye that these wonderful creatures have.  Again full frame, but with f14, and 1/160 sec this time.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment