Friday 23 April 2010

A First for me in Warwickshire tonight

On Sunday, I will be pounding the local lanes in the Shakespeare Half Marathon as part of the Shakespeare Birthday weekend celebrations here in Stratford upon Avon.  I have done all the training that I have been able to complete but tonight I wanted to just give my legs a stretch and spin around so I rode the route that I will take on Sunday on my bike.  Parts of the route I was not familiar with so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone as it were.

There were lots of birds out - Green and Geat Spotted Woodpeckers, Kestrels, Buzzards, finches, corvids and various warblers.  It was on the last part of the run back towards Stratford that I saw a Wheatear.  Now I am used to seeing dozens of these when I go to Scotland, but have never seen one in Warwickshire - so a county first for me.

We also had the male Bulfinch back in the garden this evening which was a pleasant sight - sadly it went before I could get the camera.

My final thoughts for you tonight are about the Dawn Chorus.  With a good number of migrants now here and still arriving, these next few weekends will be the time to set your clocks for 'Stupid a.m.' and get out there and listen and see the wonderful spectacle of the Spring, or at least if you are one of our Northern Hemisphere readers anyway.

I will be planning to do this over the next two weekends.

Martin

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Martin, good luck on Sunday. I got my first Wheatear picture of the year yesterday.

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete