Tuesday 23 March 2010

Nikon 16-35 F4 VR

The new baby arrived about an hour ago so this is just a first impression, Its light or should i say light compared to the Nikon 24-70 and Nikon 14-24 so that's a good thing, I had read on some forums that there is some play in the manual focus ring and there is a small amount-i am not sure why but there is, I don't see this being a problem for me at least but the tolerances could be better, Its like the 24-70 in that's its long and thin as possessed to short and fat, But the main thing for me is that it doesn't change its length when zooming in and out like the 24-70, I am going to use this for the manatee images so it fits nicely in the EWA Marine housing and not the tight squeeze of the 24-70, I intend to use this lens for the manatees at around 20mm as i have read that the distortion at 16mm is quite bad and wide you will get some vignetting-both things that are easily rectified in processing, I took a few test shots and at F8 its certainly sharp, I will get down to the local pool and give it a good test but will get it insured first just in case, So first impressions are good as they should be with a lens in this price range




p.s The living room image was taken at ISO 3200 with the D3 more or less straight from the camera with no NR, 16mm @ F8

Dave

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great lens, hope you get some good underwater shots with it.
    ISO 3200 and no NR, wow!

    ReplyDelete