Sunday 20 November 2011

Weekend Round up

Well following my last post, I was disappointed that they didn't show the Bittern (now Bitterns) from Slimbridge on Autumnwatch, but fingers crossed for the last show next week.

Closer to home, it is fantastic to see lots of returning visitors to the garden and the local river a and roosts.

In the garden, we are now seeing the best numbers of Blue Tits that I have seen since I moved here over four years ago, along with lots of Coal, Great and Long Tails. Chaffinch, Green and Goldfinch are also in good numbers , plus the usual suspects of Blackbirds, Dunnock, Robin and Wren.

I wasn't sure if it was the state of the feeders that was putting the birds off, so I gave them a thorough clean, scrub , disinfectant and refill last weekend. My hunch is that with it being a excellent berry and seed year, natures food supplies have been so bountiful that there has been no need for them to come to the gardens.

Just down the round at the river, birds numbers are increasing with lots more geese and swans, plus the winter arrivals of tufted duck showing well.

Tescos in Stratford provides for a great roost for Pied Wagtails, with hundreds most evenings which I also witnessed at Birmingham Airport last week after leaving a meeting there at dusk. That roost in itself also brings in Peregrine, which I have seen before and contacts there often see it resting on the sides of the multi storey car park.

Personal camera use has been limited since my trip to Westonbirt for one reason or another, so it was nice to get the studio gear out today and photograph one of the young grandchildren. Little Jayden was a delight to photograph and had fun during the shoot. Great outputs and happy families resulted - very pleasing and satisfying.


Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment