Monday 5 July 2010

Trip Reports - North Uist - Flora

As promised in previous posts, I said I would put up some images of some of the flora that we saw on North Uist.  Most of the time we were looking for bird life, so I mostly used the wettish part of the Friday to fill in a few natural history record shots.


Lady's Smock



Marsh Marigold



Bog Bean



Wideer view of Bog Bean in water margin



Birds Foot Trefoil



Not a brilliant specimen of Butterwort



Tormentil



Honeydew



Marsh Lousewort



Viola  (not sure of sub species - any advice?)



Northern Marsh Orchid

I was hoping to find the Hebridean Marsh Orchid, a very rare and localised species, but we were too early in the year.  We did find this Northern Marsh spike, among a few.  This was the most advanced, which I took on the Thursday in later evening light.

I wish I had carried out a slightly more detailed coverage of the flowers on the machair, particularly near Balranald, but looks like we will have to get back there again next year.

Next post will cover a bit of the geography and topology of the islands.

Good book for helping identify flowers species, that I used to help with the above.


Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment