Sunday 12 September 2010

A bit of this and that

Just a few random things to share with you tonight.

I mentioned in my last post about the migrating Ospreys.  Well it was fantastic to see one circling and moving southwards while I was on the eastern side of Nottingham on Friday afternoon at a family birthday party.  It was about 750 feet up, ringing up to gain height and slowly drifting southwards.  Wings too long and narrow for a Buzzard, no forked tailed for a Kite and different wing beat to a Harrier.

The migration is in full swing with some great sightings up in Shetland as reported by our friend Robbie - some fantastic sightings.  Take a look at his blog and see what I mean.

Here at home, my camera has seen limited use lately as I have still been working hard in the garden still - the back of the hard stuff has been broken thank goodness.  All ready for a complete new lawn now.  Still plenty of visiting butterflies and dragonflies to keep me company, and a regular Green Woodpecker is now mostly being heard, and occasionally seen.

I came home one evening last week to find feathers everywhere in one part of the garden, caught up in the hedgerows as well.  Looks like a Sparrowhawk had visited sometime during the day.

I mentioned a short while back that we are coming towards fungi season.  We have the first two species in the garden out now.  I am hoping that with the decent amount of rain we had had throughout August and September that we will be in for a good season.

OK that's enough rambling for now.  Hope you had a great weekend.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment