Tuesday 24 January 2012

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend

I was wracking my brain about what I would write last night on my train commute home when thanks to twitter two separate but connected stories caught my eye that I thought I would share with you,

Firstly, this weekend coming is the annual RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch that I have taken part in for as long as I can remember.

As I read that it was once again upon us, I immediately thought based on this years garden activity that it will be very slim pickings this year in terms of numbers. As I have mentioned in a number of blogs, and as recently as last Friday, bird numbers are very low in our garden.

Looking back at the last couple of years, my count stats for 2011 and 2010 were quite decent.

I will be surprised if we make ten species this year, unless we suddenly get an arctic blast for the rest of the week.

My second separate but connected story I read about a couple of minutes after i saw the first one, and explains why garden bird counts are low. It is nice to have your thoughts and theories confirmed.

As usual, I will post up my results and let you know.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment