Friday 12 March 2010

Another new garden visitor

Just for our 'friends' at Photogrind, this post has been stolen from http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/03/another-new-garden-visitor.html without our permission, so pop across to our blog and see the real thing.

Anyway, regular readers, after I shared the juvenile female Sparrowhawk image here with you a couple of weeks back, I chopped down all the offending clutter on the plum tree, most of which is now dead in case she came back.

Well I haven't seen her since, but the male came in.

Clearly a mature bird from the colour of the eyes. In  Accipiters,  Sparrowhawks or Goshawks, the eye colouring can be a clue to the age of the bird.  The younger they are the more yellow they are and the older the bird the deeper orange they are.  I have never seen this written down in a book but was reliably informed by a falconer of this some years back

Anyway, here are a few images for you to enjoy.  Sadly, I could do with the leylandii hedge moving back about fifteen feet, but I am stuck with what I have.



 

As you will see the colours are completely different on the back and also with the chestnut flank, and if you followed my thread on megapixels and cropping, I could also easily tell he is also much smaller


Original content can be seen at  http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com
 
Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment