Saturday 12 February 2011

A few with the 5Dmk2

It was a pleasant change to have yesterday (Friday) off and with some fairly pleasant weather making it felt like spring, I popped out for a quick scout round my local patch for an hour to see what was about.

Not too much really - just one distant Hare.  I tried three of my locations and only the one.  Still I will keep trying.  But it was lovely to hear the wonderful croak of a Raven overhead, and the drumming of a Great Spotted Woodpecker, a Buzzard sitting on lookout on a telegraph post.  After the cold and gloom of the winter, it really was delightful to watch and listen.....even if the 5D didn't get a click.

Moving on to the River,  I knew there would be something there that I could get.  With the light either in the wrong direction or flat, I thought it would at least be a decent test for checking out image detail.





Click on the image to see in large for detail.  All images were taken with 5Dmk2 and 500f4 ISL.  No processing to speak of, just a minor crop, resize and standard sharpen. I am pleased with the shadow detail.

On arrival back home, I was greeted with the announcement that we had had a fox in the garden, and not the manky one from last year (unless it is better) and the male Blackcap and  Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Ha! - maybe sometimes I should stay at home and not go looking.

The best sighting of the day was a couple of male Siskins - the first I have seen in the garden for three years, and takes this years garden species list up to 25 now.

Today I took a trip down to WWT Slimbridge and gave the 5D a bit more of a run out.  It is GOOD, as you will see in future posts.  Got a lifetime 'tick' while I was there too - although the Siskin in the garden yesterday was a better expereince to be honest.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment