Friday 28 January 2011

Travel back ups

A quick one to day as i am cloning my 2TB hard drives and that puts my desk top out of action for about 15 hours and its my wifes birthday and we are out most of the day-Happy Birthday Marian, So what do you do for backing up and storing images when away, I normally take my laptop and a Lacie Rugged 250GB external hardive and keep images both to the laptop and the HD, Last week i purchased another Lacie Rugged 500GB external hard drive from B+H, I have used the rugged HD's  for a couple of years now and they are well travelled, They are small and fairly light and do the job, I have just the USB 2 versions but they do firewire and USB 3 now, When i go to Japan i will take both and not store images on the laptop so as not to slow it down
I would be interested to know what and how you back up when away from home

Dave

2 comments:

  1. I've got a stack of cards and a JOBU Giga Vu Pro.

    It's not let me down - yet. Provided you just download the your card then don't try to jump around the menu and spend a lot of time looking through your images it seems fine.

    I've not run out of memory over many trips that I've done as I tend to shoot a lot more selectively of late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Graham, The Giga VU is a nice piece of kit but now that notebooks have come down in price i think they will have their day as by having a notebook you can process images whilst away and do your e mail,blog,facebook etc, The bonus on the products like the jobo is that you can download in the field as they are small enough to keep in your pocket and that way as you say is that you will never run out of memory, I have about 50GB in cards now so if i shoot that in a day i know its been a day in a lifetime
    Dave

    ReplyDelete