Saturday 3 July 2010

Moths from the Garden

Back before I went off to North Uist, I mentioned on this blog that I intended to build a moth trap.  Well I did, and I believe I also said I would do a post on how I built it. It was more work than I expected in terms of time, but I am pleased with it, and will share that process with you another time.  I have put it out a few times now, and have just completed a successful overnight session and am pleased to share some shots with you.

My list for the night is as follows;

Common Footman  x 7
Swordgrass x 2
Hebrew Character x 1
Peppered x 1
Lesser Yellow Underwing x 1
Large Yellow Underwing x 2 (1m, 1f)
Beautiful Hook Tip x 2
Brownline Bright eye x 1
Garden Dart x 1
Dark Arches x 2
Grey Dagger x 3
Cock Chafer x 1 (large beetle thing - no laughing at the title at the back there)
Poplar Hawk moth x1 (m)
Speckled Footman x 2
Mottled Beauty x 4
Ypanomeuta padella x 2
Agripheida tristella x 4

Now I am very new to mothing so I hope I have the id's correct.  There are plenty  of confusion species with these, or at least for me there is.

If I have any of the id's below incorrect, please drop me a line via the comments and I will be happy to update and credit you.  I have used the Waring and Townsend book, see Amazon link below, it is quite excellent.


Large Yellow Underwing (male)

Large Yellow Underwing (female)

Grey Dagger

Beautiful Hook Tip

Peppered

Poplar Hawk (male)

Poplar Hawk (male) - same one different perch



Martin

1 comment:

  1. Perfect examples of camouflage!Looking forward to know how you built the trap.

    Wild Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete