Tuesday 24 November 2009

News - A few wildlife stories

Here are few interesting stories that have caught my eye that I thought I would share with you.

Earlier this year, I posted a number of images of Painted Lady butterflies. It has been a bumper year this year, the like of which hasn't been seen for many years. Well here is a story about their migration.

While on the subject of butterflies, this story also got my attention as it is relatively local to me, and talks about the important work creating and managing habitat in Worcestershire. Hopefully this work will pay off next year.

Over at the RSPB site, this story makes for sad reading and follows on from earlier themes I mentioned before here around the random killings of birds of prey - this time it is the plight of Red Kites. Unfortunate situation as they are doing very well in certain areas.

Also check out today's Blue Peter - you will have to look at BBC i-Player by the time you read this. Sea Eagles from Mull, from were I have previously done a number of reports are featured. Although sadly not available for any blog readers from outside the UK. Blame the Beeb not me.

Looking at The Gloster Birder site, it seems like it is a good time to get to WWT Slimbridge at this time of year, with lots of interesting winter visitor arrivals.

If you hear of interesting stories, please let us know via the comments, we would like to hear what is going on in your part of the world.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment