Sunday 10 May 2009

Trip Report - Isle of Mull Day 1

I arrived on Mull yesterday after a very wet drive up, still it made for some great snow up on Glencoe.

Once on Mull I went to one of the first of the Wild Isles Week events, Confessions of a Wildlife Cop, an illustrated talk by Sgt Finlay Christine of the Argyll Police Force.

Finlay is a great guy and does fabulous work protecting the wildlife on Mull. My advice to all photographers who visit is to get in contact with him and let him know you are going to be on the island photographing. I make a point of letting him know before hand, with my car details so it is one less for him to worry about. There is a great network on the island who guard there wildlife passionately.

Great weather today - it has been pretty bad the last few days so I am told so was grateful for that.

I went on the Discover Mull trip today with 7 others. I usually do this on the first day as it is a useful reconnaissance to see what is about. Successful day with 68 bird species, 6 mammals, tow butterflies and a Common Lizard.

Saw all the big five of White Tailed and Golden Eagles, Hen Harrier, Red Deer and Otter by 2 pm. In fact the Golden Eagle count was seven separate birds by the end.


Wheatears, like this one were very common.

And just as I sit outside writing this, a Male Bullfinch has just flown over my head, glowing in the evening sun. Simply beautiful

Off to Iona tomorrow and will probably stay out overnight in my little tent so if you don't hear from me tomorrow you will know why.

Hope to be back the following day with some Corncrake pictures.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment