Saturday 6 August 2011

Sad News - They have gone

The first week in August has had happy memories from a few years ago when I used to make the annual pilgrimage to Cowes on the Isle of Wight with some friends and race on their yacht with them.  A great week with fabulous sailing, great partying and good friendly company, and a chance to see a few sea birds while we were at it.  A memory that has carried me over from this time of the year was that when I got home it was always noticeable that the Swifts had left the neighbourhood where I lived at the time.

And so it is this week with the last sighting of this enigmatic bird over my garden being Tuesday just gone.  We did see a few last night over Stratford but from here the main flocks have gone.

My attempts at getting images of them in flight will now have to be put on hold for another nine months.

I did manage a few in the last of the evening light back in June but they are very small in the frame and therefore large crops, so nothing to write home about.




 Martin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin, they'd gone from northern Spain when we arrived on 2nd Aug, I only saw half a dozen in a week. Robbie

    ReplyDelete