Tuesday 12 January 2010

Feed the birds in this harsh weather

One of my work colleagues that knows of my love of wildlife was pleased to tell me that she had been putting out feed for the birds in the these terrible weather conditions that we have been getting here in the UK, and asked my advice on a few things.

One of the things I said that is critical during times of continuous sub zero temperatures is access to water.

One of the last thing at night and first thing in the morning tasks here in my garden has been the break of the ice on the pond to enable the birds to drink.

Now the hole has been getting smaller and smaller and the ice is now thicker and thicker, but nevertheless they have always had water for drinking or bathing.

It was while thinking about the advice I had given to Debbie, I found this link which covers feeding in more detail.

If you only ever buy one bag of bird feed a year, please make it now

Even the Bitterns are being fed at Leighton Moss where frozen lakes are a problem for them.

While I was on the Wildlifeextra site, I also found this fascinating story of Peregrines hunting at nighttime - it is worth a look

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment